Tuesday, June 19

Picture For Anna

At the beginning of the year we began visiting a local nursing home twice a month. At first the volunteer director had us visiting a bunch of people for just a couple minutes each, but I finally asked if she could just give us few names of people who don't get many visitors so we could get to know them a little and spend a little more time with each one. She gave me a list of about six names, and we are now regularly visiting with about three of those people every other Tuesday at 11:00. We make small pictures or notes or fun things to bring sometimes, and sometimes we just visit with them. I wasn't sure how it would go with the kids, but they seem to really enjoy going.


Miss Anna is one lady who has been at this facility since before we started coming, and she never gets a visit from her family who live about 40 minutes away. She is always glad to see us. We only stay for about 15 minutes each time, but we try to show her the love of Jesus during that time. This morning Ryan drew a picture for her, and I thought it was really cute. He put in details such as her bed table, her television (which is ALWAYS on and blaring very loudly), her closet and her door. He made each stick person the color of what we were wearing today and each one is carrying something. He is carrying the picture and his new Dinoco Lightning McQueen to show to Anna, Abby is holding her doll which she planned to bring to show, and I'm carrying my camera. This cracked me up because I guess I do take a lot of pictures, though I've never taken any at the home. I feel uncomfortable snapping pictures of these people who are not feeling well and might not appreciate it.

No comments: