Wednesday, August 16

First Chapter Book

Ryan has been asking me to read The Boxcar Children again for several months now, and I keep telling him he can read it again for himself when he's ready. He's looked at it a couple of times but apparently decided the picture/word ratio was way too high for him. Pictures are still a very big deal for Ryan when it comes to books. But yesterday he insisted he wanted to read it, so I let him read it during his school time yesterday, not really expecting him to stick with it.

I was very surprised, however. He read the whole first chapter (nine pages with only three black & white pictures), and today he read the second chapter (11 pages with only three black & white pictures)! I knew he was capable of reading the words, but I am surprised to see him tackling longer stories that have few pictures. This is definitely a new adventure that he is enjoying...hopefully he'll stick with it and finish the book.

No comments: