Wednesday, June 14

School in the Great Outdoors

We have been plugging along pretty steadily with school the last month. We have gotten into a routine, and it suits us all pretty well. Keeping Abigail busy can still be a bit of a challenge, but she has really lengthened her attention span, thankfully. Ryan pretty much does his school by himself, except for reading to me. I give him math flashcards or a math worksheet, and he does those by himself. I am nearby listening to make sure he is actually doing them though. Then he does the writing assignment I gave him.

We're currently working on addition and subtraction up to 6, and he is practicing his alphabet and numbers still. Last week he had fun practicing writing Happy Father's Day, I Love You, Ryan. I know Daddy will treasure his handwritten card!


We took our first break since we began this two months ago. We went camping, and though we did do school one day while we were there, we took a break the rest other days and the rest of the week that Daddy was home from work. I wondered how much a week break would effect Ryan's reading and math, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well he did that first day back.


We also had lots of learning opportunities on our camping trip. Both kids learned a little about lichen, aka Spanish Moss, (it was everywhere). We saw deer, ground squirrels, Stellar Jays, frogs, ospreys, and several different kinds of ducks. Daddy gave some lessons on fishing gear, which really grabbed their attention! It was fun, tiring trip, and we're looking forward to our next one.

No comments: