Thursday, January 11

A New Year-A Fresh Start

I don't know who made the school year begin in September, but it doesn't work well for me. I suppose since I am homeschooling, I could do whatever I wanted and begin in January instead. But homeschooling seems to clash with enough in our society, so I've gone along with the September start. Actually, this was my first September start since Ryan is only in Kindergarten this year, but it didn't go well for me. We did much better back in April and all the way through the end of August.

Maybe it's because in September my mind turns to fall and then I start thinking about holiday errands and everything that needs to get done in the next four months, but whatever the reason, our school year started out a little sluggish. We did school like usual, but it lacked enthusiasm and commitment. We took three weeks off over Christmas, and now we're beginning again. Mentally, I already feel much more focused and ready to tackle the list of books and things I want Ryan to know before First Grade and Abby for Preschool (though her goals are much more loose).

Hopefully, the next eight months will make up for the last four. Even Ryan was excited and ready to get back to schooling this week! We're learning about calendars (seasons, months, days of the week, etc.), time, money, skip counting, and most importantly--how to tie shoes! We're finishing up level one reading books in our curriculum and beginning level two. Ryan's learning cursive and beginning to tackle some easy multiplication while he solidifies his subtraction and addition math facts.

I am surprised at how much I love homeschooling. Even in my lackluster period last year, I was so grateful for the blessing of being a stay-at-home mom and having the support of my husband so that I can keep my children at home with me for school!

No comments: