Monday, December 24

Christmas Cookies

We baked two different kinds of cookies to give to the neighbors as love gifts, and there were only a couple of each left. I also baked a favorite of mine growing up, Russian Teacakes, but it turns out neither of my kids really like them. Ryan has been wanting to make cut-out cookies for a while, so we made a batch of those to please him. I don't often make them, mostly because I haven't found a recipe I really love (anyone know a good one?). It's a lot of work and mess to roll out, cut out, and decorate cookies that really don't taste that great. I also get frustrated because they all seem to lose their shape so much, but I digress.


I tried yet another receipe, and the kids had fun rolling and cutting. Abby was overtired and had to be sent to bed for a nap, so Ryan did most of the fun job. He sprinkled a few with some colored sugar, but we saved the rest to frost with icing.


Little did I know we wouldn't be able to get back to frosting them until Christmas Eve! But then Daddy joined in on the decorating, and that made it even more special. Since he's usually at work when we do all the baking and crafts and fun stuff during Christmastime, it was nice to include him. In fact, he may have found a hidden talent...his cookies turned out really cute!


In typical kid fashion, both kids frosted about three cookies, and then they were done, leaving the rest for Daddy and I to finish. (To be fair, Abby would have kept going but we had to take everything away from her because she kept putting it all in her mouth!)

1 comment:

Darcy said...

How cool that Daddy was able to participate in decorating cookies!