Tuesday, March 28

Beverly Cleary Sculpture Garden


Ryan and Ribsy


Ryan, Ramona, and Abigail

The kids and I go to the library regularly, and they love to have me read books to them. Last year I started reading aloud chapter books to them, and they really like it. Among others, we have read Charlotte's Web, The Boxcar Children, and most recently, Ramona the Pest. My fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Zody, read to us every day, and one of my favorite books that she read was Ramona. The author is from Portland, and the Ramona books take place in and around the area. Ryan particularly likes the series, so when I found out there is a Beverly Cleary Scuplture Garden in a park in Portland, I decided to take the kids to see it.

Ryan liked seeing a life-size (maybe a little big) statue of Ramona, and he really liked Ribsy, the friend's dog. We only have two books left to read in the series, but it's been a fun walk down memory lane for me and hopefully a fun journey for the kids. He also thoroughly enjoyed the see-saw (much to my surprise) and tire swing. He even felt brave enough to swing on his bottom instead of on his belly like he usually does.



3 comments:

Darcy said...

Oh how cool! I loved reading those books when I was a kid.

And the Box Car Children series, I've actually been contemplating reading them again...now. LOL. I bet Hannah would love those books read to her. I know I'd enjoy them again!

Kim said...

I never read the Boxcar Children when I was young, but I am enjoying them now. However, I only like the ones actually written by Warner. Some of the later formula ones are pretty terrible.

Beth said...

I DO NOT know where you find all these TOTALLY cool things to do!! This looks so neat...Ramona was my HERO when I was a little girl! And Henry, of course...can't forget HENRY and RIBSY!

What a super reinforcement of the stories for your children! You are an awesome mom!