Saturday, December 30

Electricity!


This morning Ryan told me, "Either there's a light burned out on the Christmas tree or there's an open loop!" I smiled to myself because he thinks we took a break from homeschooling this week, but in fact he's been learning a lot and begging for more!


Playing with the motor and pinwheel attachment.

My dad gave Ryan an electricity kit, and the last several days we've been learning about open loops and switches and loads. Along with the leads, conductors, and things, it came with a small motor, a light bulb, an LED, and a buzzer. He read the whole book himself before we even opened the kit, and now we've done all the "experiments" in the book. So now we're on to the chemistry set...


Making the light bulb light up.

Another electrical side note: Last month I gave Ryan the exalted privilege of plugging and unplugging the vaccuum all by himself! He loves to vaccuum for me, and he's so responsible (as well as terrified of anything I say may hurt him) that I decided it was time to teach him how to correctly connect and disconnect plugs to outlets. He is thrilled and thinks he's so big!

3 comments:

Darcy said...

Wow. Now that sounds like a set that your brother would love to play with! LOL

Kim said...

Actually, when we were kids we used to have a really cool set with wires and things...much bigger and more extensive than this one. I wonder what ever happened to that.

Remember that, Steven?

Darcy said...

It's probably still in the shed. LOL.

Oh wait, we went through all that stuff a couple years ago when everyone was home for Christmas. LOL