Tuesday, December 13

Happy Tears

Though he doesn't yet understand all the implications, Ryan knows he was adopted. We've talked about it ever since he was born, and I made him a small album about his birth story including pictures of his birthfamily. He will ask periodically, "Mom, did you know I was adopted?" which always makes me smile.

This afternoon we were watching an episode of Little House on the Prairie. It was about a birthmother who had no choice but to leave her little girl at an orphanage. She was sad and very upset when she remembered back to that incident. Ryan wanted to know why she was sad, so I paused the show and tried to explain it to him by relating it to his own birthmother. I told him again about how his birthmother loved him very much and was so sad she couldn't raise him, but that because of that, Mommy and Daddy were very happy because we got to adopt him and raise him for our very own.

After another question about him growing in her tummy, Ryan pointed at me with a big smile and said, "I'm glad I'm with you!" Oh, that touched both Mommy and Daddy's heart so much! We even "cried happy tears," to quote one of our favorite adoption books!

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Ahhhh, what a sweet conversation.

Isn't it amazing when they start asking such thought filled questions???

Kim said...

It is neat to hear them thinking so much...though Ryan's literally been doing it for years already! I can't keep up with him.